Sunday, July 26, 2009

What's it all about?

Just had my 30th high school reunion. What the ???? How the heck did it get to be the 30th? Its funny to attend these reunions. Is it because we really want to reconnect with people or is it some form of morbid curiosity - who looks old, who is fat, who isn't married....anything, anything at all to make ourselves feel better. For those that don't come to the reunion - is it because they feel they fit one of those categories? That no one will want to see them or remember them? It's interesting to hear from those that don't want to come. Myself, I've been to all except our 5 year. That was just too soon out of high school. I can honestly say I've enjoyed my reunions. I was quite blessed with being reunited with a few friends that were dear to me growing up and then lost touch. Once we connected at the reunion, we've stayed close ever since. By the 20th reunion, classmates really started changing, you either had young children or almost grown. You had other things going on in your life besides status in school or who was friends with who. You were just glad to see people you recognize and that they knew you. Everyone was open and inviting. People that you thought may never have given you the time of day in school, now act like they've always known you. You will also have moments of memories or something that was special to them. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't be afraid. Really. There will always be someone who is more bald or fat or scared than you. You deserve to go to at least one reunion in a lifetime. You may be surprised at who you know, who knows you and the friendships you may develop for the rest of your life. Try it, you might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment