Sunday, February 1, 2009

Born in the USA

Today is Super Bowl and Bruce Springsteen is the headliner for the half-time show. He is also coming in concert to the DC area soon. Boy that really takes me back. I remember in 1983, getting to see the Boss at RFK stadium. I had just spent a week in Jamaica. Upon returning, I brought back with me food poisoning. For 2 days I was laid up, sick as a dog. Of course, everyone at work thought I had partied too hard while on vacation and was now taking sick days. Not the case. On day 2, the phone calls started - do you need your ticket to Bruce Springsteen? Say what? No way, I was going to that concert if I had to go in an ambulance! So on day 2 of my illness, I crawled my way out of bed and along with friends, headed to the metro. Destination - RFK stadium. The metro ride was hell. I was laying in the floor for most of it - too weak to stand. We get to the stadium, luckily, people were in such a party mode and kept moving around, I was able to lay across some chairs to rest. I will say, once Bruce came out and the music started, it was like the illness was moved from my body - we sang, we danced, we loved the Boss. When the evening ended, I was lucky to still have the energy to get back to the metro. Again, laying on the floor of the metro (no seats available). Wow what a night. I can't believe how many people called me to acquire my ticket. But let me just say, as painful as it all was, it was well worth it. I chalked it up to another adventure in life. So as I heard the Boss was playing Super Bowl, I couldn't help but be shot back in time. It was the only time I got to see Bruce but it will always be a fabulous memory.

And by the way, Jamaica was a wild time too - definitely worth the food poisoning too! If it wasn't for Jamaica, I wouldn't have met my dearest and my most wonderful friends Jane and Colin who live in England. After 20 plus years, we are still friends and have shared even more memories on other great vacations together.

1 comment:

  1. Too funny...it's strange that the worst moments in life become our best memories. You will have to tell me about that Jamaica trip. I don't remember hearing stories.

    ReplyDelete