Sunday, January 4, 2009

Guerrilla Goodness

How to start the New Year? Just two words - Guerilla Goodness. I want to share a blog that I find very inspiring. "Kindness Girl" believes that random acts of kindness can change the world - isn't that a beautiful sentiment! From this belief was born "Guerrilla Goodness" - her name for random acts of kindness. Her ideas and how she involves all 4 of her children and friends is touching and makes you stop and think how even the smallest of deeds, taking just a few moments out of our hectic and never ending days, can probably make a huge difference to someone out there in the world. Considering the economy and all the stress many Americans are dealing with daily - wouldn't an act of kindness make your day? Below is one act that I found very touching - to remember someone and give meaning to their life. My New Year's resolution is to make "Guerilla Goodness" a focus this year for myself and family. I've included the link to all the "Guerilla Goodness" that Kindness Girl acted upon this past year - read through them, maybe it will help you to create your own acts of kindness (thank you Kindness Girl). http://www.kindnessgirl.com/ (then click on the picture under Guerrilla Goodness on the sidebar)

Borrowed from Kindness Girl: Kindness invaded Carytown and other stops around Richmond yesterday. Courtesy and in honor of a dear friend who passed away 2 years ago. I sometimes believe this girl might have packed a whole lifetime of living in 25 short years, and then I start to imagine what her next 60 could have been. She gave me the honor of walking the journey to her death, which was really when we became friends. So every birthday, and the day of her passing I do something I think she would have totally dug, things I wish we could have done together…So this anniversary it was Starbucks love, my girl LOVED some starbucks. Even worked there for a stint. I knew we had to spread some coffee/tea love…We (my whole crew) decided to jump in the car and leave gift cards all over the city. We left them on bus benches, the mirror at World of Mirth (josiah’s idea), public bathrooms, one of her favorite books at the bookstore, parks, telephone polls…etc. It was totally exhilarating as guerrillaness always is, we drove around like crazy seeing if we could catch someone looking or taking. If you are feeling the kindness and coffee love this morning, pick up a card (we did $5 cards) and leave it in a public place with a note of who or what you are honoring today…maybe the finder will do the same.

Amazingly, right before Christmas I received an unexpected act of kindness when struggling with a bad cold, father in the hospital, a million things still not done for Christmas and a whole bunch of other stressful stuff going on, a friend who I only hear from like twice a year, sent a Starbucks gift card with her Christmas card thanking me for something I did for her several years ago! It brought me back to reality of how much I had to be thankful for and all the bad stuff will eventually pass. Happy New Year and Guerrilla Goodness to Everyone!

Have you received an act of kindness in the past? Have one that you did to share? PLEASE share your story - no matter how small, if it made you feel good, its worth mentioning. Just click on "Comments" after this entry and share. You can also click on comments anytime to read what others have shared.

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to share a kindness story about my 10 year old son. His birthday was back in November. The actual day was on a Saturday so we agreed that on Monday I would bring treats for the class to celebrate (giving me the weekend to prepare). But on Thursday my son asked if I could get him a dozen donuts for school on Friday. I then ask, "you want to donuts one one day and cupcakes on another?". "No", he replied, "I want donuts to give to my current teachers, teachers of the past, principal and office staff thanking them for everything to celebrate my birthday". That just warmed my heart and he was thrilled as his teacher let him take time out of his morning class to deliver donuts to everyone. He didn't even eat any himself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guerrilla goodness that I started back in November, when on a trip to Target and SOMEONE felt the need to leave me a nasty note stuck in my van door, yelling at me about how horrible I was for parking in a handicap parking spot (they used lots of unkind words to describe the type of person they thought I was). The problem was....I was NOT, I repeat, NOT in a handicap spot! There was a handicap spot next to me but there was no sign nor any wheelchair emblem painted on the asphalt indicating it was handicap. I couldn't believe how much effort this person took to write me this long note and shove it in my door instead of using that effot to see it wasn't handicap. ANYWAY, after that, I decided, I'll show them, I could have driving etiquette, for now on, whenever I'm in traffic, parking lot, any place that you tend to "let" someone in instead of letting them cut in....I was going to not only let one but TWO people in every time. So far, I've stuck by it. It has made me slow down a bit and realize, I'll get where ever I'm going just as fast. I'm teaching myself patience and letting someone else have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new site - added you to my blog roll!!!

    ReplyDelete